Get Clarity on Your Life Now With This Exercise
“Where we love is home – home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts.” ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
To Move, or Not to Move: That Was the Question. On the cusp of selling our London home, I’m deeply reminded that home truly is where the heart is. But what does that mean? Well before I answer that, first may I ask you,
Do you ever feel like you want a change? Do you want to move city, career, or out of a relationship – to experience life in a whole new way?
I get it – I’ve been there and I’m here to tell you it’s never too late (or too early) to change the trajectory of your life. Gain clarity on your life now with this simple exercise.
10 years ago I moved away from everything I ever knew, nearly 5,500 miles and an ocean apart between Los Angeles and London. And then I did it again last year with my family moving south to Spain. As an expat and international coach, I’ve learned and witnessed that it’s absolutely possible to
move beyond the fear (and homesickness) when you start to open your mind and heart to something greater than you can ever imagine.
Yes home is the place filled with your family and/or friends, where you feel most comfortable, furnished with memories of love and happiness. But when you consider your house simply a building that contains the household and contents, then your home can move and expand because it’s in our hearts that home genuinely resides.
If you can take that feeling of comfort and being loved anywhere in this world, then there’s nothing to fear when moving out of your norm and changing your normal limits. As an international coach, yoga teacher, writer and speaker I’ve helped guide hundreds of people to create space, find peace, and infuse balance to live a more meaningful life.
I WANT TO HELP YOU GAIN CLARITY ON GETTING FROM WHERE YOU ARE TO WHERE YOU WANT TO BE. TRY THIS CLARITY VISIONING EXERCISE:
- Sit comfortably on a chair or cushion. Close your eyes. Inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth three times. Bring your focus to your breath. Then bring your awareness to your heart space, the space between your chest – your spiritual heart. Finally move your awareness to your mind’s eye.
- Start to fast forward yourself five years from today and envision your life. Where are you, what are you doing, who are you with, and how does it feel to be you in five years time? Stay with this vision for a few minutes.
- Then bring yourself back, fast forward yourself two years from today. See where you are, what you’re doing, who you may be with, and feel how it feels to be you in two years time. Feel this vision for a few minutes.
- Now bring yourself further back, fast forward yourself six months from today. Where are you, what are you doing, who are you with, and how does it feel to be you in six months time? Stay with this vision for a few minutes.
- Take one deep breath, inhale through the nose, and exhale out through the mouth.
- Write in your journal everything you saw and felt in your Visioning Exercise.
- Map out and plan goals for each period in your life.
- Lastly, remember that every step, no matter how big or small, in the right direction with bring you closer to who you want to be.
As you reflect upon where you see yourself and your home, I encourage you to ask yourself why this particular place feels like home to you. In doing so, you’ll
start to gain a deeper understanding of how you think about your self and your connection with the world at large.
Suddenly, those changes you thought or felt may have been daunting at first may start to feel not so much anymore. When you can see where you want to be then gradually bring that vision back to the present it’s easier to start connecting the dots on how you can begin to get there.
As always, I’d love connecting with you and hear about your experience of change, or moving, and how you opened your mind and heart to a whole new world. Head over to the comments section below to share your thoughts.
With love and gratitude,
P.S. Join my FREE private community On Purpose Collective so you can connect with a global group of like-minded people and where I facilitate live weekly & multi-day trainings.